On 22/01/03 13:10, "Stephen Bright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> That's probably because the current shipping laptops have often more
>> powerful video cards than most desktop....
>
> But all laptops have non-upgradeable video cards, so Pismo owners like
> myself have no way to get a 16MB video card or better. I just thought the
> pcmcia slot might me able to accommodate video upgrades, which every pbook
> would want eventually, I would think, (unless you buy a new one every 2 or 3
> years).

I hear you, Stephen. I'm in the same boat with my Pismo. Still, the current
laptops have more than adequate internal video cards. Granted, older
PowerBook like Pismos, iBooks, etc., could benefit from a better video card.
However, this is a closed market, there are no more Pismo being made, and
I'm sure that there are a few that are retired every year. So, you end up
with too small of a market to be economically feasible. Plus, one of the
reason I've read that AirPort Extreme cards wouldn't be available for older
PowerBooks was that the PCMCIA bus wouldn't be able to meet the increased
requirements for speed and the amount of data to shuffle around. If you were
to make larger video card, supporting higher resolutions, or more depths,
that would mean more data to quickly move around. That too, could possibly a
dead end with a PCMCIA bus. Just a thought.

-Laurent.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Washington, DC, USA
coaster n.: 1. Unuseable CD produced during failed attempt at writing to
writeable or re-writeable CD media. Certainly related to the coaster-like
shape of a CD, and the relative value of these failures. "I made a lot of
coasters before I got a good CD." 2. Useless CDs received in the mail from
the likes of AOL, MSN, CI$, Prodigy, ad nauseam.