I have had intermittent problems with the 9 to X serving, but
it will work if you are sure that the printing is turned on at the
server machine properly in Classic.   Try booting up from 9 and
seeing if it will work that way.  Try installing the driver when
booted up from 9.   Try updating the driver.
        Make sure you clicked the check box in the control panel on
the server machine.  I have published a printer in the past and then
not done the extra step of clicking  in the box.    I really think
you should try it booted in OS9 first and then in classic.
Obviously, classic has to be running when you go looking for the
printer--AND your server computer must not be asleep--if it's asleep
it won't publish.  Check out your connection by checking the file
sharing from the server to the remote. (I know that's obvious but
some days obvious stuff isn't obvious).
        The remote machine does not have to have a USB port in
theory, but sometimes I wonder if that affects the driver
installation.  I have printed from machines without a USB.    The
Chooser is irrelevant in the remote machine until you have
established a connection and identified and clicked on the remote
printer  in the USB control panel.  After that you will continue to
see the remote computers listed in the control panel, even if you are
disconnected from the network.
        Try incense.