Running X.2.3 on a PDQ (commonly referred to as wallstreet) which is
the 300mhz version.  Mine has 384mb or ram and runs quite decently.  It
is definatley less snappy than 9.1 which I have on the machines as
opposed to a newer version of OS 9 which are plagued by sleep of death
problems.  See Charles W. Moore's articles for more information on the
matter.  I don't use OS 9 that much anymore save for the occasion time
when I need to use an expansion bay floppy drive which only works in 9.
  Overall I would recommend X especially on a pismo even without all the
popular upgrades that seem to be turning it into a cult machine like
the PB 2400 or color classic.
Dave