> I was looking over the specs for the new AlBooks on Apple's site, and I
> noticed that they are using 4200RPM hard drives by default in these
> notebooks. Does anyone know of any reason that they are doing this
> other
> than cost? Is it heat or noise? When they charge $3300 for their high
> end notebook, I guess I kind of expected them to use higher end
> components (ie 5400RPM drives).

I'm guessing it's a cost saving measure. A lot of people won't even
check, so it's not a big selling point. Therefore, they think they can
get away with putting a slower HD in. But that might change,
considering Apple has now put 7200 RPM hard drives in the iMacs.
They're willing to up the speed of their included hard drives so I
wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the PowerBooks got 5400 RPM
drives. iBooks though, not likely.