On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 04:25  PM, Jeremy Derr wrote:

> On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 07:07 AM, Steve Fuller wrote:
>
>> I was looking over the specs for the new AlBooks on Apple's site, and
>> noticed that they are using 4200RPM hard drives by default in these
>> notebooks. Does anyone know of any reason that they are doing this
>> other
>> than cost? Is it heat or noise? When they charge $3300 for their high
>> end notebook, I guess I kind of expected them to use higher end
>> components (ie 5400RPM drives).
>
> according to Apple, it's actually a faster drive than most 5400RPM
> drives because the data density is higher.

Not to mention that I'm sure power draw from the 4200 is somewhat less
than the 5400. The 17" Albook already has a 'meager' 4.5hr rating, I
would imagine that Apple didn't want to let the rating slip down even
further. (although I've never seen anywhere near the 5hr mark on my
TiBook 667 DVI, 3.5 is my current record I believe...)

-Andrew