Christopher D Helmkamp on 2/11/03 11:08 PM wrote:

> I find the easiest way to do this is to dim the ibook screen all the
> way down.  Just hit the F1 key until the iBook screen goes black.
> There are other hacks out there for certain models to do certain
> things, including (on the 700Mhz model) clamming it shut, but they are
> more dangerous.

Clamming it shut? Meaning running it while closed?

Oddly, I found that I could run my 500MHz iBook (dual USB/combo) with the
lid closed, without any kind of hack, quite by accident. It was while
setting it up with an external monitor and keyboard.

Typically I would have it open while plugging in a keyboard and monitor.
Then, as Christopher suggested, I would dim the screen while the external
was connected. It makes for a nice little desktop setup.

Well, one day I started connecting things while it was asleep with the lid
was closed. I plugged in the monitor as usual. Then I plugged in my Apple
Pro keyboard. Of course plugging in a USB device always wakes a sleeping Mac
(PowerBook, iBook, iMac, etc.). I'm sure many people have discovered this.
Then, in the case of a PowerBook/iBook, it goes back to sleep if the lid is
closed. However this time it didn't go back to sleep. Instead it stayed
awake and displayed everything on the connected monitor as usual. I was able
to run it in a "desktop mode" with the lid closed.

I tried a few tests with the lid closed. First I put it to sleep. Then I hit
any key on the external keyboard and it woke right up while closed. Further
testing showed me that if I disconnected the monitor while it was awake, the
iBook would go to sleep. If I plugged the monitor back in, it would stay
asleep until I hit any key. However just plugging in the monitor (no
keyboard) would not cause it to wake up. If I plugged in the keyboard first,
it would wake up of course but go right back to sleep. Then when I plugged
in the monitor it would stay asleep.

It seemed obvious to me that this behavior was intentional since it would
only run with the lid closed when the iBook detected a monitor connected to
it. I naturally assumed Apple had programmed in this functionality.

However when I explained this to others I was told that this was not how it
should function and if I kept using it this way I would eventually burn up
my iBook because heat would not be able to dissipate properly with the lid
closed. So, feeling it would be better safe than sorry, I quite running it
with the lid closed.

Note that this was almost a year ago and I was running OS9.x at the time.
I've since upgraded to OSX and haven't tried it with the lid closed since.

Anyhow, I thought I would share my experience, for what it's worth.

-Mark