Roger Shufflebottom on 2/12/03 11:36 AM wrote:

> At 11:23 -0500 12/2/03, Mark Kippert wrote:
>> It seemed obvious to me that this behavior was intentional since it would
>> only run with the lid closed when the iBook detected a monitor connected to
>> it. I naturally assumed Apple had programmed in this functionality.
>
> That's how the TiBooks work BTW. Lid shut, external monitor but only
> works with the mains power supply connected. Oddly, mine seems to run
> cooler this way - I figure the screen takes a lot of juice.

I do recall mine working with or without the AC connected.

As for heat, I discovered this functionality right after purchasing the
iBook so I didn't have a sense of how hot it might run. Since then, I found
that it certainly runs cooler than the Wallstreet it replaced (that keyboard
got quite toasty, and you NEVER ran it on a bare lap!), and the warmest spot
on my iBook is the left palmrest, over the hard drive. No where near the
heat output of that 233MHz Wallstreet.

Frankly I doubt the iBook could generate enough heat to do itself damage.
But I'm sure old Wallstreet could have easily burn itself up, if it were
capable of running while closed (which I know it couldn't as I tried it).

-Mark