On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 05:41 PM, Eric D. wrote:

> Wow. I guess you don't push your system much! I've managed to find
> enough
> kernel panics since OS X 10.0. The early ones were attributable to bad
> RAM,
> but that's been taken care of (JewelToy no longer crashes ;).

i push my system pretty hard. and i'm always breaking it. i'm always
getting kernel panics. but only when i'm out trying to cause them to
see what bugs are there. in ye-olde-standard use of the system, i've
never had a kernel panic.

currently, Bad or Reasonably Bad RAM is still the #1 cause of kernel
panics that I see on a daily basis (I work for high volume Authorized
Service Provider). I have a running tally on a white board of causes of
kernel panics that customer's have brought in.

second up is people doing weird crap to get around the OS X
installer... chiefly, trying to get around the 8GB Partition Limit by
first installing OS X with the drive installed in a non-8GB-limited
machine; i lump installing OS X on unsupported machines into this
category, since the kernel panic logs often state the same cause.

> Kernel panics have been part of the bug reports for every release of
> OS X --
> it's good but it ain't perfect. Plus, there are a plethora of reports
> both
> on Apple's discussion boards and on the independent Mac commentators of
> kernel panics and problems with dial-up in 10.2.4 so it ain't my
> imagination
> or my system alone.

the company i used to work with got interim builds of OS X from
somewhere in the Developer Preview series all the way up to
10.0.something. at some points, we were getting new builds daily. in
THOSE builds, i would get kernel panics aplenty, sometimes when the
computer was merely idling. not only am i aware that kernel panics
happen, i happen to actually know some of the guys that pull together
the panic logs @ Apple to turn over to engineers for fixing.

I'm not saying that they don't happen, or that you're an isolated
issue. I'm saying that you're making too much out of this. have you
tried doing an archive and install, then reapplying the 10.2.4 update?
you're keen to document all the lines from your logs that are
applicable... but until you do this, you haven't isolated the issue to
an actual 10.2.4 issue, rather than an Installer error.

> Anyway, count your blessing you're free of kernel panics. If
> reinstalling OS
> X wasn't such a pain in the derriere I'd downgrade to 10.2.3 but,
> unless
> things get particularly bad I'll just suffer with the occasional kernel
> panic until 10.2.5.

suit yourself. as of Jaguar, reinstalling OS X is pretty damned
painless. the archive-and-install option leaves all of your Application
and Users data in tact, and only reinstalls System Software.