Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in the logs.  A full
spash-screen message telling me to hold down the power button or hit
the reset button appeared on the screen at wake.  It was transparent
(so I could see the desktop behind it), with a less-transparent white
box directly in the middle.    Is this what happens on an OS X kernel
panic?  (I've never had one before, but if it is, it sure beats some of
the crashes my Linux boxes used to undergo.  Leave it to Apple to have
an "elegant" way to crash!)  Or is this something else?  Indeed, what
is it?