on 2/20/03 10:23 PM, Thomas Ethen at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> How did you get the faceplate to fit on the UDJA 330, as mine did not fit
> correctly, so I am just using the faceplate that come with the PC drive. It
> closes just fine with the PC faceplate, it just doesn't quite cover up the
> expansion bay hole as well as the stock drive does. I am quit happy with the
> UDJA 330 and with the price of the UDJA 710 going for around $250 when you
> can find them the $65 I paid for the UDJA 330 seems like quite a bargain.

I didn't. :-) I'm using the faceplate that came with it--a Toshiba
Lifebook's. :-) I looked at putting the faceplate from my LG drive onto it,
as I now have an extra, but there were enough differences that I decided it
would look uglier, and be more flimsy than what was already there. I don't
even notice it most of the time, but at least I have a functioning drive. I
use my DVD only or DVDs as it doesn't read CDs well, and has been  mucked
with just to do that.

I am also happy with the 330. It's fast and efficient in both reading and
burning. I love the flexibility it provides. I would still like to get my
hands on a 710, though. They were more common a few months ago, and for
cheap prices. I don't know what's happened...

> I use my UDJA 330 just for burning, as my regular CD/DVD drive works just
> fine and changing bays when I want to burn a CD isn't really that big a
> problem. Because of my limited use for the drive, I didn't change anything
> when I put it in my old drive bay sled, which made the exchange a snap!

I only did the soldering when I couldn't get burning to work. I thought that
was what was necessary. In end, however, it turned out that I needed to
update Toast, and (most embarrassing) I discovered that I had forgotten to
put the hacked Authoring file into the extensions folder. :-) Well, I do
have a bootable CD out of the bargain, so I can't complain. :-)
--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"[D]emocracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have
ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of
property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have
been violent in their deaths." --James Madison