Hi all

I know that the lombard and prismo are abit different, but i also know that you can use the cdrom from a lombard in the prismo! so to me that says that the connectors are the same.

I have successfully transplanted a cd rw in the cd rom module of my lombard and it work fine, it is recognised by the apple disc burning software and i can burn at 4x (not fast but good enough)
I took the unit from a smartdisk cd rw drive the firewire kind. after taking both cases apart cd moduale and firewire enclosure, the drive devices are both TEAC branded and the interfaces are the same, so i just took off the connector cards and swapped the drive mech. presto works fine.

Now for the dvd Smart disk also do combo drives, and these tend to go for around £180. on ebay sounds alot but it is still cheaper than any manufacturer is offering..
As for the faceplate of the drive (it is flat ) and so the side of my lombard is not flush anymore but after takeing the bottom of the cd cover off the old cd rom and making abit of a bracket and useing very small screw's and superglue, There is no holes to see and it looks fine.

Victoria.

Raymond Wiker wrote:

Joe Ellis writes:
> I read the same article and it's handy knowledge to tuck away for the day my
> Pismo screen goes dark. But as for the CD drives, I searched eBay and other
> auction sites and have not been able to nail one of those puppies down at
> any price, let alone a reasonable one.

I've seen some likely units at http://www.pcliquidator.com/ in
the past, but this site has been down for the last couple of days.