On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 02:17 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

I think the point that the original poster was trying to make was that
> activating the screen saver every time the computer was put to sleep
> was
> just a way to secure the computer a little bit more than by having no
> protection at all. So, even though the best way to secure a computer
> is by
> physically locking it, it does make sense to turn on the password
> protection
> in the screen saver and I also wish that there would be an option to
> automatically turn on the screensaver when the computer goes to sleep.

Exactly. This topic was recently discussed on another list and many of
us sadly miss the Password Security (or whatever it was called) Control
Panel utility that was lost and never regained after 9.0.4 when
Multiple Users was introduced. Sure, there are ways to circumvent any
security, but if you have to step away from your work, the efficiency
of just closing your lid (or more importantly, if you're distracted and
leave forgetting to sleep your 'Book, but have Energy Saver do it for
you after a set time) and sleeping your 'Book and requiring a password
upon awakening was super effective in completely avoiding casual
snoopers or, in my case, people such as my wife or kid who might
inadvertently lose or make changes to open files because of their
inexperience. It's not necessarily about iron- clad security or theft
prevention nor is it necessarily about laziness. It's about ease of
use, functionality and shaving off a step or action here or there to
somehow improve efficiency and give us more free time or one thing less
to remember to do- especially helpful as one racks up in years;)

>  I'll
> try to see what could be done from a programming point of view later
> tonight...

I, for one, would gladly pay a shareware fee to restore this
functionality.

dave