Fellow G-Books users:

I have a graphite (clamshell) iBook SE with 320M RAM and the standard 10G
hard drive (about 4.5G of free space), Jaguar (10.2.4) and iMovie 2. (iMovie
3 won't work on clamshell machines because of their low screen resolution, I
hear. Right?)

Although this model was originally promoted as ideal for working with iMovie
and digital video cameras, it's giving me a heck of a time as I try to
download digital video (via FireWire) -- audio and video dropouts, "disk
slow to respond" error messages, etc. -- even when I've shut down Airport,
Classic and other background processes.

Questions:

Can anyone recommend a way to optimize performance of this particular system
-- preferably with minimal expenditure?

If I need even more disk space (and, yes, I realize that's desirable, but
right now my only goal is to get a good dub of a 3-minute video segment;
that should fit on 4 gigs, right?) is it possible to hook up a DV camera AND
an external (FW) drive simultaneously and use the external drive as a
receptacle for incoming video?

Any way to write data from the video camera directly to a CD-R (or RW) using
iMovie and this iBook?

If so, anyone care to make recommendations for hard drives that work well
with this machine?

Thanks in advance for your counsel.

Charlie Meyerson