On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 07:49 PM, Christopher D Helmkamp wrote:
> (As a former Linux person myself, one thing I *can* say is that he'll
> probably be happier with OS X on any PowerBook, if for no other reason
> than that it accomplishes everything and more a Linux/Windows dual-boot
> will, without the hassle of dual booting.)

Isn't that the truth. As switcher who came from IBM OS/2 ->
i386 Redhat Linux -> Yellow Dog Linux on a Wallstreet ->
Mac OS X on a TiBook 400 there is no doubt in my mind
that the Mac OS X implementation of BSD is as great Unix
system as I've ever worked on.

I *loved* working on a Linux system, except for the ongoing
problems with drivers for something or support for something
else, so Linux was always *almost* there, and the target kept
moving. Mac OS X was unix with everything in place so
"it just works."

I use it all day, every day, for software development and I don't
want to go back to Linux. Mac OS X may cost a little more than
Linux (depending on your accounting methods), but it is worth
it for the no-hassle experience. I can't imagine a unix geek
who would not be impressed with Mac OS X. And hey, a whole
lot of non-geeks seem to like it too, so go figure...

JimS.