On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 11:35 PM, Christopher D Helmkamp wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 12:05  AM, ""
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I'd be interested to know your opinion of the speed and behaviour of
>> OS X on the 400MHz tiBook, I'll be in the market for either a iBook or
>> tiBook in April and my choices are 800MHz combo drive 12" iBook (new)
>> or 400MHz tiBook.
> That said, I would pick the 800Mhz iBook out of the two.  I am quite
> happily running X.2 on the 700Mhz iBook without the larger VRAM (800Mhz
> has twice as much), and the 12" screen is so bright and so crisp I
> don't care how small it is.  It sure beats my old 12" IBM Thinkpad
> running Linux hands down in terms of readability.  The only thing that
> bothers me is how I have to shuffle so many windows around due to the
> small 1024 real estate, but the main problem there is OS X's lack of a
> decent "shuffler" like the Windows/Gnome/etc task bar, rather than the
> screen rez.
>
> --Chris
> iBook 700 OS X.2.4
> PM 7500/200 OS 8.6
> PM 4400/200 OS 8.6, NetBSD

My take is it would matter a lot how you intend to use it. For me the
bigger screen and ability to have a 2 independent monitor setup are
more important than the speed bump. I think the ibook would be
much better for games or things where video speed is the bigger
priority.

Chris is right about the lack of a good virtual window manager.
I've tried several and none seem quite ready for prime time for me.
I really want the pager utility from linux ported to OS X.

But the PB17 is mighty appealing... Just want to put my hands on one
before deciding.

JimS.