Tom:

Don't know for sure, the Lombard is the one model of Powerbook we don't
have (actually, we had one but it got stolen several years ago!). What
I can tell you  about the Pismo upgrade is that it is not completely
"done at the factory". You actually take the Pismo apart yourself and
just ship PowerLogix the processor/heat sink assembly. They then
upgrade it and ship it back to you and you reinstall this assembly back
in your Pismo.

I'll let someone else explain why the Lombard is done differently!

... Eric