On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 10:11 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> a.  Any clues what might be wrong?

not really. you haven't provided anywhere near enough information to
diagnose a cause. OS, hardware config, etc.

> b.  Any sources for repair other than authorized apple repair
> facilities
> which are too expensive for old systems?

repairs direct through Apple are fairly reasonable here in the US. all
iBook repairs are a flat-rate of a few hairs beneath $300 - this means
that they only charge $300 (that's about what it is here after sales
tax) even if they have to replace half the machine.

> c.  Any sources for a repair manual?

Apple distributes the service manuals to AASPs on an NDA basis.
<understatement>the ListMom strongly discourages discussing sources for
these manuals.</understatement>