> > expensive shipping (meaning it's really expensive for me
>
> Not much more expensive than in-Europe shipping.

What difference does that make to me? I'm in the United States. Intra-US
shipping is cheap and, by and large, reliable. USPS is inexpensive, VERY
reliable and has never damaged or lost a parcel I've sent. UPS is more
expensive, but it's worth it because (a) I'm not paying, (b) they pick
up from my door, and (c) special services are easily added with a simple
click on the right box in the shipping page.

> > extra expense and hassle in collecting money, ...
>
> Paypal couldn't be simpler.

But many European buyers choose not to use it. From experience, they
prefer wire transfers to bank accounts, Western Union moneygrams, &c. Or
at least the ones who contact me do.

Look, it's a question of how much trouble I'm willing to take to get a
few extra bidding dollars. My time is valuable, my patience for dealing
with officals and paperwork and physically toting junk around town to
dropoff locations is VERY limited. When I put something for sale on
ebay, I go in with no expectations; it gets bid up to whatever it's
going to get bid up to, I ship it, and that's that. I could care less
that I might get an extra 1% on the price by expanding my sales range to
 Upper Congo; the hassle of finding fresh banana leaves to wrap it in
and whatever other hoops the carrier makes me jump through make it not
worthwhile.

The only reason I sold some vintage equipment to overseas buyers is
because I wanted it to go to a truly good home.

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (http://www.zws.com/)
Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20