At 7:01 PM -0500 7/22/03, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>Not so because there are many things we cannot see. Just because you have no
>Cell phones, cordless phones, TVs, Radios, etc near the two units doesn't
>mean there isn't EMF from something in the way. EMF just destroys RF.

I know you meant EMI. I'm curious what other people are seeing with MacStumbler. I'm
now working at my dining room table 35 feet away from the router showing 25 or so for
signal strength and noise from 1 to 5, usually at 3. It is reliable at the table now.
but it still won't work at the bedroom desk or the office desk.

It shows four bars on the menu bar. As soon as the signal drops to 3 bars, it becomes
unreliable.

By the way, I popped the top on the D-Link 614+. It connects to two antennas, a U
shaped plate on the side of the unit, and a short external whip. I question the
onmi-directionality of coverage. With the whip pointing up, I guess there are both
vertically and horizontally polarized components to the signal. The U shaped plate
antenna looks like it radiates a horizontally polarized pattern, which I guess is what
the horizontal slots on the tiBook pick up, you could say best, but least worst is a
more appropriate description.

My guess is that the base station doesn't put out an even field, the physical
environment has a complex effect, and that because the tiBook is so lousy, those who
report passable results are just plain sitting in the right place.

The recurring theme of this discussion is that sometimes you get lucky with a tiBook,
but almost always, other computers get way more range in the same environment.

Paul