I just noticed that my Pismo has about 1/2" of play in the LCD hinge (measured at the free edge of the display). Is this about normal? I know there are horror stories about Wallstreet in particular. I opened the top part of the case and checked the clutch components, they all seem to

My hinges are loose. Wanna tell me how to get at em??

Tools: Exacto knife, small Philips screwdriver.

Turn off, disconnect AC, remove battery. Lift keyboard.

On the front of the plastic piece that holds the power button and sleep LED, you'll see a notch on the power-button side. Place blade under the notch and lever until the piece pops up. There is another latch point on the other (sleep LED) side, lever against the
The front edge of this piece will now lift and swing up, unlocking claws at the back and allowing you to remove the entire piece, thus revealing the inverter. The reason you need to remove this piece is to facilitate access to the bottom part of the seam around the LCD.

Pull the rubber plugs out of the four holes at the top of the LCD. They are self-adhesive on top of flat-headed screws, and adhere VERY tenaciously. Fingernails are required :) Remove the four screws.

Use the Exacto to lever off the seals on the bottom two screws *very gently* (yes it is possible to do this undetectably if you're careful and use a sharp blade). Remove the screws thus exposed.

The screen will start opening easiest from the top (latch) end. Unlike every other laptop I've ever opened, the LCD is screwed to the *front bezel* and it is the entire solid back (rubbery part with Apple logo) that detaches. If you open the screen starting where the latch protrudes, you'll be able to flex the top edge of the bezel enough to pop the latches on the ULH and URH corners of the LCD housing. Use the Exacto in the seam to release the others. From memory I think there are three down each side. The bottom corners are the hardest to pop, requiring some flexing and Exacto pressure. Very easy to do noticeable damage here, unfortunately :(

Once you have all the latches on the sides popped, you should be able to swing the back (top) shell away, revealing the LCD.

NOTE WELL: Avoid opening/closing the lid while the top shell is off, it is a structural member (duh). Also be careful of the Airport antennas, they are loose inside there.

Reverse instructions to reassemble :) (don't you just hate that? Especially when working on cars...)

Note: The screws were originally secured with Loctite (the blue, removable kind). I suggest you replace this locking coat when you reassemble.

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards http://www.zws.com/
Learn how to build high-performance embedded systems on a budget!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20