At 2:15 AM -0500 8/6/2003, John Acuff wrote:
New list-member here with a dead Kanga. I bought this unit non-working. I had hoped that it was something minor, and maybe I could combine parts between it and my 3400c to make a good working G3 'Book. I tried all kinds of different tricks to get it to boot. I did get it to start to boot once, but it froze at the start-up screen and I have not been able to repeat. The screen stays black and no chime. I read somewhere that the power management board may be bad, so I bought one from eBay that was supposed to be a good one. Since I have installed it, I still get nothing. The 'Book does not respond at all to the power button on the keyboard, but if I push the reset button on the back, the green light on the lid comes on. If I push it again, I hear a click sound and the light goes off. I have tried leaving out the battery, closing the lid, and holding the reset button in for 30 seconds, then connecting the ac adapter and pushing the power button, but still nothing. From what I can tell, the PRAM battery is okay. I can pull the main battery and disconnect the ac adapter and the green light on the lid will stay on. I know the adapter is good, because I am using it with my 3400c.
I really would love to get this machine working so I can finally step up to a G3 'Book, but I already have almost $200 invested as well as lots of time trying to figure it out. Maybe I should just cut my losses, and sell it for whatever I can get and use the proceeds to buy a clamshell iBook?
I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some idea where to go from here.

I think the first thing to try is to open it up, remove all the major internal parts and inspect them for obvious defects. Then re-assemble them. This also reseats the connectors which is a possible fix for your problem. But don't reconnect the HD and leave the memory module (if any) out (there is 32Mb on the MB). Leave the battery and media bay empty. Then try resetting the power manager and starting up. I forget if this makes a difference or not but try holding the reset button down and then hitting power (with the AC Adapter connected).
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA