Wiebe Wilbers wrote:

Did you try with just a plain Ethernet cable? I don't know which models were
included, but I know some (all?) iBooks had an auto-configuration thingo,
where a cross-over cable was not needed... The ibook would sense a computer
to computer network, and go from there.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If I recall the iBook (clamshell) automatically senses whether you have a crossover or regular e/net cable. You didn't say whether you were in X (which can connect automatically) or in 9, which must be set properly. You need to start up the iBook after your cable is connected and the PB is running (if I recall).

No, a straight cable doesn't work; my Pismo and the original iBooks require the crossover. See <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717>.

However, a tip from someone on the Apple Discussion site solved the problem: I have to set up both computers for sharing, shut them down, connect the cable, then start them up (from shut down, not restart). Then they see the cable properly, and connect, in 9 or X (I was working in 9). Seems funny that Apple's G3 laptops' ethernet implementation is less flexible/more finicky than a mid-90s Global Village ethernet card in a PowerBook 1400, which connects any time, including when the cable is connected while the computers are running. But hey, what do I know?

Andrew Main