You're correct. This is the adapter that you would use to connect an Apple ADC LCD display to your Powerbook (or any mac that has a DVI digital video connector). The reason that you need it is that the Apple LCD displays use a proprietary connector that carries digital video, USB and power to the display over a single cable. The DVI port on your powerbook carries only digital video. The adapter plugs into the back of the display and splits the ADC into video, USB and power. The adapter you are using right now just converts the connector on the back of your Powerbook from digital to analog VGA. It doesn't have to carry and split the other signals.

Hope that helps.

-Hal