The speed tests I've seen put the iBook even or faster than the little Al Book, except when using software that uses the G4's altivec. IBooks get more run time when on battery power, especially the 14". What you describe your wife will be doing the iBook will handle no sweat. Worked as computer tech in High School this past year. We had approx. 120 ibooks in use, around 40 used by teachers. Never heard one complaint about speed and most of them were using 600mhz/700mhz ibooks doing exactly what you say your wife will do. We used iBooks to do all our presentations. Very easy. Bought my son a 800mhz 12" iBook for Christmas, we haven't been disappointed. That said, the practical advantages to the Al book are it has airport extreme, they're now making Gig ram chips for it (doubles ibook)(in the OS X era that can be important), and it has the way cool aluminum exterior. If I were you I'd buy an ibook and spend what I saved not getting the al book on an ipod.(Apple had special deal on ibook/ipod purchase). In a year, if it's not fast enough, sell it and buy a new G5 laptop. Just my 2 cents.

Matt