On Wednesday 10 September 2003 12:48 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have an old Wallstreet that I
> tricked out a while ago, 466 Newertech processor, 512 RAM memory, and it's
> run like a beast without much hassle.  Recently my 12G hardrive that I had
> dropped in when I upgraded my Pismo started to make some clicking sounds
> then made the clicking sound of death while I was doing a clean install of
> OS9.  I pulled out the dead drive and I grabbed an unintialized 40G hard
> drive and using the usual static precautions dropped it into the Wallstreet
> hoping to initialize the drive and install the OS.  Well, now all I get
> when I hit the power button is a buzzing sound.  When I reset the PMU with
> shift+fn+control+power all is silence, then when I release the keys the
> green power light goes on for a second, the screen flickers, and it dies
> again.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in
> advance,
> Ben

Welcome to the Sleep Of Death. Basically the new hard drive has a more
powerful magnet than the hard drives that shipped with every G3 Series
PowerBook, and the magnetic switch that is supposed to signal to the Mac that
the lid is closed gets tripped.

If you go to xlr8yourmac and look up Toshiba and IBM hard drives for
Wallstreet you can get links to the modding info you need to fix this
problem. Basically you are going to need to use a non-conductive piece of
metal as a shield for the side of the new hard drive where the magnet lives,
and you might have to reset the magnetic switch with another magnet.

Your Wallstreet isn't dead...it's just SLEEPING.....

Good luck,
-.\\<-H-
--
Michelle Klein-Hass