On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 09:43 AM, Byron Gardner wrote:

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 12:48 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

If you go to xlr8yourmac and look up Toshiba and IBM hard drives for
Wallstreet you can get links to the modding info you need to fix this
problem. Basically you are going to need to use a non-conductive piece of
metal as a shield for the side of the new hard drive where the magnet lives,
and you might have to reset the magnetic switch with another magnet.

All metal is conductive.

Use a piece of thin sheet steel. Blank expansion card fences, the metal covers shipped on empty PCI slots, are perfect - . They are the right thickness and width, and all you have to do is cut the ends off to get a strip is the width of the hard disk. Tape it to the top right end of your hard disk. You must use a ferrous or metal with ferrous magnetic properties. The metal serves a shield by conducting the magnetic flux from the hard disk so it doesn't go through the reed switch. Aluminum, copper, brass, plastic, etc. won't work. Cobalt, and mu-metal will work but sheet steel is a lot easier to find.

I installed an IBM 20G on my WallStreet and had to play this game too.

Paul