Just a little follow-up on my charging problem. I sent the Pismo for service
on Monday. The PMU board was OK, but they found that the PowerBook wouldn't
run on the battery when in the right bay, which I never used before. So,
they did replace the PMU for that. They checked my 3 months old BTI battery
and found it to be the problem. They said they were able to recharge an
Apple genuine battery that was completely depleted to full charge, but the
BTI wouldn't recharge even in another Pismo. But he said that the BTI
battery would stop around 85% of its full charge.

So, I went on to completely discharge the battery yesterday. That was the
first time I completely discharged it since I got it. I mostly use my Pismo
on the AC adaptor, so I don't know if this had any impact on the battery.
The tech at MBS also said that because of the battery problem with the right
expansion bay, it could possible had an effect on the battery. Anyway, after
letting the computer go to sleep after the battery was out of juice, I
plugged back the AC adaptor and monitored what was happening. My Pismo
started charging the battery and gave me a 1 hour estimated time to reach a
full charge. I think it was slightly wrong on that. Anyway, I kept the
charge percentage displayed in the menu bar of Mac OS X and then noticed at
some point that the charge was stopped at 4%. My Pismo was still reporting
charging the battery, but the battery was apparently not charging. I also
noticed that the expected time to reach a full charge went from 1:00 to
"Calculating... until full". Out of the blue, I removed the battery and put
it back in. Then, the Pismo started charging the battery again. It went to
about 11% and then stuck there. So, I started pulling the battery and
putting it back in, and the Pismo would continue charging. I'm about 90% of
a full charge right now.

Now, my concerns are that, even though I'm not sure, that the Pismo is
running a little bit warmer than usual. Special toward the back, underneath
the case. Not sure what that means, though. The battery doesn't seem warmer
at all. The LED indicators on the battery seem to confirm what the Pismo is
saying, roughly fully charge.

So, what do you guys think about this? Is there any potential risks for the
PMU? The battery? I'd like to return it since it's obviously not working
properly, but that's the only battery I have now, so that's out of the
question. I'm still rebuilding an Apple battery with brand new cells, but
I'm not done yet. BTW, speaking of refurbishing that Apple battery, does
anybody know if the smart circuit in the battery will be somehow reset, or
can I risk to see the rebuilt battery not charging?

Thanks in advance!

-Laurent.