Ah! A "spotwelder"? I've never seen a "spotwelder" before but I know that
this is what they used. Can I find this in any hardware store? Like I said,

The kind you're looking at in the hardware store is intended for big sheetmetal work and is electric. A battery spotwelder is normally ultrasonic; the welding tip heats the contact area by rapid vibration. Might be listed as a "tabwelder". The item you pointed me to on ebay is definitely a spotwelder, but it's electric.

Well, if you intend to solder the batteries, make sure you roughen up the face before tinning. Steel wool, or a fine file. The order of events is roughen bare side of cell - tin it - allow to cool - then solder on the tab from the next cell. (The cells you bought have tabs already, right?)

It's perfectly possible to do this with solder (I've done it several times), just be careful and don't overheat the cells. Also try to use the minimum possible film of solder over the contact area. Otherwise you may find the pack is too fat from the extra space introduced by the solder joint.

Oh, and don't cut your fingers sawing open the plastic body :) I have injured myself many times this way.

In your other message, Lewin, you mention the NVRAM in the battery. I
thought I've read that if you reboot in OpenFirmware (or single user mode in
OS X), you can issue a command that should reset the NVRAM. Would that be

That resets your Mac's NVRAM. The battery's internal charge controller (the part that makes it a "smart" battery) has NVRAM which won't be reset by this method.

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards http://www.zws.com/
Learn how to build high-performance embedded systems on a budget!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20