Thank you Drew. I tried all your hints but Pismo doesn't make a start up
sound. It goes straight to a grey screen with a small folder in the middle
wich switches to a system icon and a question mark.

What to do?

That's strange. Some Macs when muted don't sound the startup chime... Don't know if that's the case with the Pismo or not...

Try this:
As soon as you hit the power button, hold down <Apple>-<Option>-<O>-<F> to boot into OpenFirmware. You should get a white-ish/grey screen with a text interface (it will look a bit like DOS does).

Type "reset-all" <return> at the prompt.

You Mac should reboot after you hit the return key.

Then try holding down Apple-option-p-r to reset the PRAM...

If after doing all this booting from a CD still doesn't work (by holding the "c" key at startup), then who knows...

Failing all that, I'd check all the connections again - make sure to check that the keyboard is plugged in correctly, that all the RAM is seated correctly, and that both ends of the hard drive cable are firmly seated. You might even try using an external keyboard, just to be on the safe side.

I'm also rather surprised that the PRAM reset didn't sound the startup chime the second time. Not that I doubt you, but are you sure you pressed all four buttons at the same time and that you pressed them immediately after (or even during) the startup chime (or right after pushing down the power button), then held them down until the screen lit up, went dark, PowerBook restarted, and repeated once or twice? The fact that you didn't hear a startup chime sounds odd - a PRAM reset done correctly _always_ sounds the startup chime on the re-boot.

If that still doesn't work, then I'm stumped.

Peace,
Drew
--

Author of ClassicStumbler email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> web: <http://www.alksoft.com/>