----- Original Message -----
From: "simon goslin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "G-Books" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 3:05 AM
Subject: Office Mac software query using OS 9/10 on the PISMO... help
required

> G'day Guys,
>
> I have a PISMO running OS 9.1 and I would like to buy (dare I say it...)
MS
> Office for the Mac,
> so that I can work from home (I have to use WinTels @ work unfortunately).
>
> I've just brought OS X 10.2 and would like to know if I can run Office 98,
> (or possibly Office 2000) whilst using my new OS?

Which Office are you speaking about? Mac or Windows? There is a version of
Office for Macs (Office 98) That will run in OS 9 or in Classic mode if you
run OS X.

> Can this software be used normally in OS X, or do you have to run it in OS
> classic mode,
> or can it ONLY be used in OS 9.1?
>
> Does any else run Office 98/2000 in OS X 10.2 and what problems or bugs
have
> you found in doing this?

I run Office v.X on my Pismo running OS 10.2.8 and it runs fine. You cannot
run Office 98/2000 in OS X.
Sorry, I take that back, if you run VPC you could run the Windows version of
Office, but I fear it would be very clunky.

> Alternatively would I be best off splashing out and buying Office v. X and
> ending all my troubles and concerns?  I'd rather not as is quite expensive
> considering the cost of AppleWorks.

Look around, if you currently own a version of Mac Office you can upgrade
for a very reasonable price. While some folks have complained of problems
with Office v.X; I have not experienced any at all, although I don't use it
as frequently as a lot of my other apps. I have made signs for my wife in
PowerPoint, typed up invoices in both Word and Excel and I use Entourage as
my email program every day.

Joe Ellis