Suspect that I had a similar experience with a 30 GB third generation (3G) iPod.

My 3G iPod initially worked under 9.2.2 on my Pismo, but the connection became increasingly flaky. Could only negotiate updating of music after a reboot, even with a clean install of 9.2.2 with the latest OS9 iTunes (2.0.4) and iPod updater (1.3?). Intermittent mounting on desktop. No ability to change iPod prefs under iTunes. iPod updater under 9.2.2 would not restore/repair the pod when it started to be unreliable. Only solution was to reset it with the latest iPod updater under OSX. Was starting to think that the cable was damaged.

Believe that the last iPod updater compatible with OS9 is not really compatible with the 3G iPods. iTunes may have some issues as well. Checked the Apple webpages and did discover that there seems to be a compatibility gap.

Doubt that this is a one pod - one computer issue, as a window generally pops up warning about the different music libraries.

Learned much about iPod diagnostics and various button salutes for reset/diskmode/diagnostics. Mine does not have the hidden record feature

Finally decided that the time had come for OSX. iPod rock solid since then. Only wish that I could transfer my playlists to the latest iTunes for X from the old one. Any suggestions?

BTW, Panther seems to be snappier on my Pismo G3/400 than 9.2.2. Do have 576MB RAM and the latest fast 60GB disk though...

F.

--- Joe Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > When you plug
 > it into your wife's Pismo, can you start iTunes and have it
 > recognized?

 No.  It also won't even show up on the desktop (in either 9 or X).
 Also, the iPod doesn't go through it's usual little connection song and
 dance like it does with the other Pismo.

Well, first suggestion, if she doesn't have a compelling reason for using OS
9, she should switch and go to OS X and stay there. Next re-install iTunes,
the latest version and repair permissions. If you supect a firewire problem
on her machine, do you have another FW device to test with? Perhaps another
FW drive or camera.
You could use your Pismo to check her FW connection by using yours in Target
Disk mode. Do you know how?

Joe