On Nov 8, 2003, at 12:30 PM, G-Books wrote:

Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:13:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Panther & Filesharing
From: "Laurent Daudelin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On 07/11/03 11:56, "Frank Cornew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have read the rest of this thread. I'm actually a bit more lost
than Clark. I just transitioned from 9.2.2 to Panther (mainly to get
my iPod working), and while have worked out most of the issues with
my everyday working environment, I'm not seeing any networked volumes
at all, either on the desktop or the sidebar.

snipped
This is under a Panther clean install with one update. Kind of bummed
as networking was supposed to be a no brainer with the new OS.

Did you try to go through the Network browser? Open a new Finder window,
change presentation to columns (CMD-3), then click "Network" at the top of
the sidebar. Do you see a folder named "Local"? If so, click on it. If your
network is setup properly, you should see all AppleShare servers there. I'm
not sure, though, if those AppleShare servers have to have server over IP
address enabled when running OS 9.

If you don't see the "Local" folder, then there is a problem on your
machine...

-Laurent.

On my TiBook I only see a shortcut to Servers, and when I double-click that it opens a new window with a shortcut to my local computer. That opens my Home folder. If I use the Go:Connect to Server (cmd-K), the Browse button doesn't work at all.
I think the filesharing in Panther is worse, too - I can't see my old PowerBooks that run 7.6.1 anymore. They can see the OSX machine, but can't connect thru Appletalk or IP settings. I get a password incorrect error message every time.
---
JSH
TiBook