Howdy:

Different drives of the same rpm definitely have different characteristics and some work better under certain circumstances than others. They have different cache sizes and the electronics make each brand and model drive different. However, not all is as it seems. I know that there were some either Toshiba or Fujitsu drives that were the same speed as the Hitachi/IBM drives yet had an 8MB cache versus the 2 or 4MB cache in the Hitachi/IBM drive... yet on xlr8yourmac the Hitachi/IBM drive consistently outperformed the other drive (not sure now what the other drive brand was). I have had good luck and performance (quiet, fast, reliable, cost effective) out of IBM drives so I have stuck with them. I'd recommend checking out xlr8yourmac.com for reviews and benchmarks so you can make an informed decision. There may be other relevant resources, this is one I've used that I trust.

... e