On 12/11/03 4:39 PM, "macnifico" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, listers!
>
> I want to get a newer iBook/PowerBook that starts with Mac OS9.
> I'll install Mac OS X, too; but I'll have to learn it. OS X didn't run
> too well on my WallStreet with 256 Mb, so I un-installed it, and didn't
> learn much.
> So what iBook/PowerBook would you listers recommend?
> Best regards.
> Hugo Diaz
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm running an icebook 500 with panther, and it's great. Sure, there are
faster machines out there, but I'm more than happy with this beast. I tried
a clamshell, and found it to be quite snappy under OS 9, but you could
certainly notice the older 300 Mhz processor in X. Don't get me wrong, the
clamshells are beautiful machines, but they were never designed for OS X.

If it were my money, I would aim for the newest machine I could get with
it's memory maxed out. I have heard many stories of FAST machines getting
quite average benchmarks due to a lack of system memory. I have 640
megabytes, and I love each and every one.

By the way, If you plan to use a wireless network, I would steer towards an
iBook ("AlBooks" have fixed the problems with the TiBooks, but I believe
don't start in 9, same with iBook G4). A TiBook with PC card is also a
solution.

I certainly agree with other listers comments regarding migrating to X. I
was hesitant on this machine to move over, but after doing so, I couldn't
believe I didn't do it sooner. About a month after switching, I removed
every trace of OS 9.

Good luck in your 'book-hunt,

Wiebe.