On 12/4/03 12:07 PM, "Harry D.  Corsover" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ----- On 12/4/03 6:20 AM MDT (-0600), [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote, in
> part:
>
>> After playing with partitions on my desktop at home and my old iBook, I
>> found no speed or safety benefits. When I bought my new 15" alBook I left it
>> unpartitioned. However, should disaster strike, I have the drive cloned to
>> an external drive I keep at home and that drive has been cloned to a DVD
>> that I carry in my briefcase. Having said that, I've come to the decision
>> that being prepared provides two benefits - first, should disaster strike
>> I'll be ready and second, keeps the computer gods from sending disaster in
>> the first place. Going back four PowerBooks, I haven't experienced a single
>> drive failure or data loss.
>>
>> david
>
> David,
>
> My 15"AlBook should arrive today. It has an 80GB drive. I also have a 200
> MB FireWire 800 drive on order from LaCie. My plan is not to mess with
> partitions (for the same reasons you mention) and to clone the drive to
> the external. I've (yes, it's true!) never even burned a CD, let alone a
> DVD. Unless I'm mistaken, you must have very little on your AlBook drive
> if you can clone it to a DVD. How much data do they hold?

A DVD holds about 4.5 gig - more than enough to store my system and most
important applications/data. I have to admit my DVD clone doesn't contain
all my applications or data but my 'short' note was getting very long so I
didn't go into the details of how/what I clone to DVD or my scheme for
backing up my data on a weekly/daily basis.

I'm using about 26g of my drive all told and I'm still slowly moving in.
This is the first time I've owned a notebook that has such a big hard drive
that I don't have to think about what I need and what has to be left behind.

david