On 4 Dec 2003, at 11:20, Luis Sequeira wrote:

>> Should I partition my drive when I install 10.2? What are the pros
and cons?

If you partition you drive to keep 9 on a separate partition, should
you need to do a clean OS X install, you won't have to re-install 9.
Plus, it makes troubleshooting easier since the folders from OS 9 are
not mixed up with those from OS X.

I personally wouldn't do it. It is possible to do an archive and
install instead of a completely clean install with the OS X installer. This will leave your user data and any other installations in place on
your drive and not clobber them upon install. There shouldn't be a
need to do a complete clean install unless you wipe the drive and then
you'll be needing a backup anyway.

If you feel the need to partition I would only do a small OS 9
partition in addition to the OS X partition.  Every time I partition a
drive for personal use in hopes of more efficient organization I
eventually run out of space on one partition or another.  Depends on
your usage, of course...

I always partition my drives because this allows for
My 60GB TiBook drive has 4 partitions, roughly one for the System, one for Applications and stuff, and two for video work (which can then be kept defragmented, since I can erase them whenever I need) - for some people, this might be used for a large iTunes library, for example.

Keeping most of my applications in a separate partition has saved me huge amounts of time when I recently installed Panther; moreover, I had cloned my Jaguar system to one the video partitions, which allowed me a safety net in case something wrong happened (which it didn't). With this setup I was able too clean install panther with minimum hassle. It would have been a lot more painful if I had a nonpartitioned drive.

Luis

Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
-- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks | & CDRWs on Sale! |

I quite honestly think that it easier and simpler to use one partition, I have 1 on my Dual-USB (20GB) iBook, using Panther, and for classic I logged into the root user and put the classic folder in the "System" directory under a folder named classic-
Macintosh HD > System > Classic > System Folder
Applications
I think it is simpler and less clumsy this way.
David.