On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 06:22 AM, Gary D. Adams wrote:

I always partition, too, and there are several reasons. First, to allow booting from another partition for diagnostics (of course, if the hd physically goes out, that's not worth much). Second, and more importantly, because I've always heard that partitioning a large drive eliminates wasted space--since the allocation block size is dependent upon the size of the volume... larger volumes get larger allocation blocks.

http://www.themacintoshguy.com/MacTips/archive/tip10.shtml

Isn't the situation the same in X?

No, nor has it been the situation for a long time.

This is the whole point of the HFS+ file system (which both OS 8.1-9.2 and OSX use as their native filesystem) is that it eliminates that 65K file limit and the variable block size of the old HFS filesystem. (which is what that tip talks about).

There's an Apple KB article about it where all the gory details are exposed.

No modern system (mac, pc, unix) needs to be partitioned for that purpose.

--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson