I know this has been covered before, but it looks this time as if I may actually need to do something on this front.

My daughter has a Lombard, currently running 9.2.something. She want an iPod for Christmas! Obviously we could get her an original model which runs on Mac OS 9.2.2, or we could put OS X on the Lombard. Either way, the issue is the fact that the Lombard doesn't have built-in Firewire.

Apple guidance re. iPods remains pretty clear: the doc referenced here
continually refers to 'Macintosh computer with built-in Firewire port'. But I recall posts to this list where the poster has had no problem with a Firewire PCMCIA card in a non-Firewire PB.

Can responders confirm that an iPod works OK on an older, non-Firewire Powerbook using a Firewire card? And can they briefly list the config they're using, ie, OS version, iPod generation, and card type?

Many thanks.

Tom Burke