Can responders confirm that an iPod works OK on an older, non-Firewire Powerbook using a Firewire card? And can they briefly list the config they're using, ie, OS version, iPod generation, and card type?

Not quite what you're looking for, but ...

I have a rev a TiBook, 500Mhz, with a burned out FW port. I've used a G2 iPod with both an IBM FW PC card and the currently available from OWC 'generic' FW card for 30 bucks. Its described:
Century PCMCIA Cardbus 2-Port 1394 FireWire Interface for Laptops. 2yr Warranty, Compatible with OS 8.6-9.2.x, all version OS X. (CEN1394PCMCIA)
and a link to it (with a sponsor link via a fav site of mine, xlr8yourmac):
http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_XLR8YourMac.cfm?ID=5006&Item=CEN1394PCMCIA

At around 35 with shipping, it might be worth a try, I'm pretty sure the 3.x iTunes from 9.2 would update at least a G2 iPod, and there are decent refurb/used G2 deals out there, from smalldog and MacResQ. Check out dealmac for deals on these. For that matter, I have a 10G G2 I'm about to ebay.

Also, here's this URL from OWC's site talks about a Lombard and an iPod: http://eshop.macsales.com/Tech/index.cfm?Load=FAQ%2Findex.cfm&searchSent=1&searchitem=pod&searchType=all&submit=GO