on 05/12/03 16:52, Greg Gilmore at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> You could try to patch the drive with a firmware that will remove that
>>> restriction. There is always a risk, but I've done it twice on my Pismo
>>> without any ill effect. Check
>>> <http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/index.html>.
>
> Thanks again, Laurent, for the info. I found their instructions, though, to
> be rather confusing (as this post may well appear!), but from what I can
> make out, I'd need 1) to download DVDReset in order to change the firmware
> on my daughter's DVD-ROM drive, right?
>
> And then it appears that 2) I'd have to change the settings for the software
> lock on Apple DVD player. It's not at all clear which utility, however, to
> download for this. The instructions found @ FAQ say . . .
>
>> in order to defeat the software region lock of the Apple DVD player, use the
> utility "Region", found in the downloads section. Please note that unlocking
> the software region lock is useless if you have an RPC-2 DVD drive.
>
> Furthermore, on the download page we're also told that "RegionX" . . .
>
>> is effective only when you are using a region-free (RPC-1) DVD drive.
>
> The same is said of "Region Switch."
>
> Mean while, back at the FAQ, it is stated that . . .
>
>> Virtually all DVD-ROM drives shipped with Macintosh computers (with the
> exception of some old models) use RPC-2.
>
> The computer in question is an iBook must therefore have an RPC-2 DVD-ROM
> drive, correct? And if that is correct, what's the point in using "Region"
> or "RegionX" if neither works with an RPC-2 drive (unless maybe this means
> that unlocking the software useless if you don't also reset the firmware)?
>
> I must be missing  something somewhere. I'd really appreciate it if you're
> able to shed any more light. Sorry for the length of this--couldn't make it
> clear if it were any shorter, if it is indeed clear.
>
> Thanks,
>
> gg

There are actually 2 kinds of operations you can do here: you can whether
reset the DVD lock, which will restore the 5 changes you can do to a
different region. That's what I think DVD Reset will do, it will reset your
drive.

The other operation is to upload a patched firmware which will remove the
lock permanently. After you do the patch, you have to run Region (for OS 9)
or RegionX (for OS X) to set a region for your drive.

Finally, the first thing you should do is to run Apple System Profiler to
determine the exact model of drive you have. It is most likely a RPC-2
drive. I don't know what RPC stands for but a RPC-1 drive is a drive that is
"region-free" or "zone-free", while a RPC-2 drive is a region-locked drive,
i.e. the region lock hasn't been disabled.

After you know which model of drive and what is the current firmware, you
can search for a patched firmware for that model. Then, if you decide to
apply the patched firmware, you have to reboot in 9 (all firmware patches
can only be applied under 9) then run the program that will download the
patched firmware to your iBook DVD drive. Then, you can reboot in OS X and
run "RegionX" to set the region. Or, you stay in 9 and run "Region".

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

flamage /flay'm*j/ n.: [very common] Flaming verbiage, esp. high-noise,
low-signal postings to Usenet or other electronic fora. Often in the phrase
`the usual flamage'. `Flaming' is the act itself; `flamage' the content; a
`flame' is a single flaming message. See flame, also dahmum.