On Dec 9, 2003, at 9:06 PM, Sid Barras wrote:
Then, one day it woke up and decided to function only occasionally. I
started getting the "flashing floppy with the question mark in the center"
instead of the happy mac (or the white apple of OS 10)...

It is looking for a boot device and can't find one. It sound like it can't access the hard drive or gets seriosuly confused when it does. I believe by the time the flashing disk icon pops up the system is looking for a boot device on the CD too. See if it will boot off the CD, if it does it points more towards the hard disk as being the problem.

Do you still have the old hard disk? Put it back in and see if your problem goes away.

Paul