Until recently I kept the dock hidden and almost never used it but with the
extra real-estate afforded by the 15" alBook I've been trying to use it a
little. I decided to put three things on the dock permanently and those
three remain right under the Finder (I keep the dock on the right side of
the display) When my machine first logs on five applications automatically
load including DragThing, SpamFire, and SpellCatcher. All five run in the
background 24/7 and typically several others do too.

Here's what has me puzzled...I think. As I said, SpamFire is one of 5
applications that start on login and never stop running. Over the last week
or so I've been noticing that SpamFire is moving up and down the dock. The
other day I restarted after doing an update and afterwards realized that
SpamFire was the fourth icon from the top. (Being 4th from the top, it was
the first running application, not counting the Finder.) Later in the day it
was near the middle of the pack and at some point later it was at the
bottom.

The only icons that seem to stay in place are the Finder, the three icons I
dragged into the dock, and the trash. The others seem to move at will. Can
anyone explain this? I'm guessing if I dragged SpamFire to the dock it would
stay where I dragged it, but why do the others move around? (I'm picking out
SpamFire because it was the one I noticed and focused on, but the others are
moving around too.)