WMP 6 for MacOS could play ASF files, WMP7 and later on the Mac cannot. People might be migrating to it because of the fact that MS ditched it and didn't renew the patent or something to that effect? I don't know for sure, since I haven't looked extensively into it. Unless the camera has a firewire port and can interface with iMovie... I wouldn't go with it personally, because I can take a Firewire DV camera to nearly any machine without problems with software. ASF is riddled with incompatibilities with various technologies, since it was originally an MS-only development.