Hello,

I have a similiar situation in a Lombard.
Bought a 30GB Hitachi drive to replace the 6GB original IBM.

When I start from 10.2 CD, I run Disk Utility to initialize the drive, but the program doesn't see the drive.
No sight of it.

If I put the old one back, the machine boots normally and the drive is recognizable.

Any ideias?

- Joćo

I bought a 30 gig Hitachi/IBM 2.5 mm HD to replace my loud, IBM 10 gig

The 10 gig came out fairly easily ... the 30 gig went in fairly easily but when I put everything back together and go to install Panther on it, it doesn't show up in the Destination volume pane. It's as quiet as a cloud. It's as like it's not even in the Pismo.

Panicking, I put the 10 gig back in and smile when it boots normally.

I've tried this several times now, trying to match the 30 gig installation precisely with the successful 10 gig but so far, no satisfaction.

Glenn,

It seems that the 30 gig drive needs to be initialized. Boot from your Panther install CD and run Disk Utility from the Installer menu. Initialize the drive. If you want to make this drive readable from OS 9 make sure to install the OS 9 drivers.