On Jan 13, 2004, at 12:30 PM, G-Books wrote:

If you are screwing around with lots of mp3s and Photoshop go ahead
and get an external drive. You cannot believe how fast photos
suck-up disk space. Also, external drives are faster than laptop
drives. Keep an eye open for cheap firewire boxes as well as cheap
drives in the 160 to 250 gig range--there are internal drives going
for as low as 50=A2 a Gig. I got a firewire CD box on sale at OWC for
$50 and I should have got two. I swap in and out of it a 160Gig
drive a DVD drive and some other drives. What is cool is that it has
two firewire plugs, so one goes to the camera and one to the laptop.
Make sure if you get a box that it supports the ultra ata drives.
I don't know about how you and your brother share stuff--but OSX user
software can deal with some of that and partitioning can deal with
the rest.

Didn't I read somewhere that the FireWire implementation on the Pismo had
some bugs so that you would not get the full throughput that should be
expected?

-Laurent.

The Pismo's are fine, it's the 1st gen TiBooks like mine that are slower. I have a 500mhz Pismo that is faster than my 500mhz Ti with a FireWire hard drive from SmartDisk. Plus the Pismo has a second FW port...

---
JSH
TiBook