I would like to share a little of my experience with iPods; I own 2, the original 5 Gig and a brand new 20 Gig

The 5 Gig battery lasted for about 18 Months. The new 20 Gig one seems to be fine (so far)

After reading a whole lot on the subject of iPod battery it seems to me that:

a) those battery will last for (about) 2 years or anywhere between 200 and 500 charges

b) The best way to go about it is never charge the iPod unless it is almost dead; Not because of the memory factor, but simply

because the battery "Kind of" remember how many time it has been charged, and not the amount of energy left in the Battery.

c) Follow Apple iPod/iTunes up date, that is the best (and maybe) only way to maintain your iPod Battery in top shape

d) Sure way to know if you need to replace the battery is simply making the rationale as to: How long does it need to be charge vs how long will it play.... Exemple: Charged for 12 hours vs played for 2 hours

e) If you want your Battery to last longer, do the following; Do not set 1) Sound Check 2) Continuous play 3) Equalizer 4) The Shuffle and play list functions d) Put the Back light control to the minimum

f) If all else fails go to www.pdasmart.com the will sell you a new battery for your iPod that (with confidence) you can replace yourself

g) Send it in to PDASmart so they will change it for you (less expansive service than Apple

h) If you are still under Apple warranty do not hesitate send it in!

i) If you can purchase a Apple Care extended Warranty for your iPod it will pay for itself

Hope that help you

Kind Regards

Hugo Trottier
Editor