On Feb 1, 2004, at 9:26 AM, Robin Ashe wrote:

That I think would be a good thing. For the majority of software, the G4
isn't any faster than the G3. They would have had to change the name
eventually though, just to keep business going. The G4 would probably be
64bit instead.

At the time the G4 was released, IBM was focusing on making cooler G3s for network devices and such while keeping the same CPU speed. I don't know all the technical info thought. You can check it out on IBM's website though.

An exclusive contract? I thought IBM was always part of the deal.

I know Apple had IBM and MOT do the G3 together but ended up trying to do different things.

--markemmanuel