On Feb 19, 2004, at 1:17 PM, Harry D. Corsover wrote:

On Feb 19, 2004, at 10:44 AM, Hal wrote:

You could connect the computers using a firewire cable and firewire disk mode, and use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the entire drive. I've done this a few times when I've upgraded machines and it's worked great.

The one time I had a problem, I booted the new computer off a Jaguar CD and did an Archive and Install to clean up the system folder, but it preserved all the data I had transferred.

Just my $0.02.

-Hal

The PowerBook won't boot off of the same system as your iMac. It requires Panther, and even if you've been running Panther on the iMac, it may need different/additional files.

OS X, save for a few specialized versions supporting brand new hardware (such as the versions of 10.2 that were released with the first G5's) installs the same *system* for any mac supported.

Some applications may be left out (for example, if a DVD drive is not present, then DVD Player will not be installed) but the systems themselves are the same.

In this case, though, he's *definitely* going to have to do an Archive and Re-Install of OSX onto the new 'book because here Hal is correct, since it's unlikely that 10.1.5 will run on the newer powerbook.

However, CCC followed by an A&R will work well, though you'll have to watch out for programs that have changed dramatically between 10.1 and 10.3.

Also, MAKE SURE you can do this kind of install with the disks you get with the new PB. I don't know if you can do an Archive and Reinstall with a set of system restore disks.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona