On Mar 1, 2004, at 4:26 PM, Al Poulin wrote:

I am not saying that anybody should or should not buy AppleCare. And the
testimonials here about saving hundreds and even close to a thousand dollars
on repairs are very impressive.

But there is another way to look at this. AppleCare must be a money making
business for Apple. Would anybody believe that Apple loses money on their
AppleCare coverage at the prices they charge? I doubt that. I think Apple
makes money on AppleCare. There must be many more people who buy AppleCare
and do not use it for repairs than those who do.

So I believe it boils down to whether you want to self-insure your Mac or
not.

Yes, extended warranties are essentially insurance. A consumer weighs the potential benefits against the known costs. Especially with notebooks, repairs can be extremely expensive, and the likelihood of needing them is greater than with desktop systems. Also, every insurance company is in it to make money, and they do make money.

There is one additional factor, though, and that is the unlimited telephone tech support for the life of the AppleCare plan. I know there have been complaints here about the quality of that support, but it is a factor to be considered.

Regards,

Harry Corsover

    Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
        CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
        Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
           <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> * 877-507-9562