Al:

Yup, without question you are correct. However, like all insurance, the point is to spread the liability out amongst the whole population of subscribers. Thus, if my computer chokes and it's going to cost $1,000 to repair, I've made out by paying $350 for three years of AppleCare. If my computer doesn't choke, I STILL make out because I've paid for indemnity against having to pay the $1,000 if my computer had in fact choked.

The way I look at it is it is a win-win. Apple makes money on the program, and I indemnify any potential "loss" for myself to the tune of $350 over a span of three years. It's well worth it to me (having done it both ways in the past) to "bite the bullet" and pay the upfront cost so I don't have to worry about a large, unexpected expenditure. Plus, Apple's service is freakin' great (in my experience)... and our company used to use a third party warranty company (Service Net) and they really stunk so I'm saying this in comparison to at least one other warranty company (hey, I know Apple or AppleCare isn't perfect, I've had my fights with them over the years, I'm just saying that overall they are excellent).

I won't buy a computer without AppleCare (if I can't afford the AppleCare I won't buy the computer) and I recommend strongly to everyone I help get a computer that they buy it as well. To me, it's just part of the price of having the computer.

... e